Some of the people that the founders of NLP modelled when they created this field were legendary psychotherapists who had pioneered their own psychological approach (taught in universities) in helping people to change.
NLP has extracted the key elements contributing to their success and based on those, today, NLP helps us improve our communication skills by teaching us how to…
These people were trained in the science of communication & influence, and they were using purely conversational skills in their work.
• ask result-producing questions.
• identify the hidden meaning behind people’s speech patterns.
• make suggestions in a way that minimises resistance and promotes agreement.
• build rapport with people.
• observe, interpret and make use of people’s non-verbal communication.
• persuade – with a structure, and much more.
Communication skills are obviously crucial to coaching, as well as self-mastery.
The questions we ask ourselves often dramatically change the way we look at problems and find solutions.